What Type of Insurance Does a Restaurant Need?

Opening a restaurant means making all kinds of fun decisions about what type of food to serve and how to decorate, but paying attention to what type of insurance you need is even more important than the type of clientele you want to attract. A professional insurance company like Walker Insurance will be able to help you determine which policies are most important for your restaurant.

You’ll begin by choosing property insurance and general liability insurance, which will protect your business in cases of property damage or if someone gets sick after eating at your restaurant. From there, you’ll choose specialty insurance based on your needs. If you serve alcohol, you’ll need a liquor liability policy, and if you plan to offer a delivery service, you’ll want to insure your company cars. The law usually requires workers’ compensation insurance in case one of your employees is injured on the job, and you’ll also need to consider policies in case of loss of business or food contamination. Finally, if your restaurant is in a high-risk area for natural disasters, you’ll need specific peril insurance, as basic property policies do not cover earthquakes, floods or power outages. If you need further information about restaurant insurance, an agent from Walker Insurance will be able to assist you.